tiistai 17. maaliskuuta 2009

Fresh from Japan ^_^

We spent last two weeks in Kyoto and Tokyo and it was just great! We went to many places I've been dreaming to go to for a long time. I'm so happy! Completely broke, but happy ^_^

What's the first thing you do when you go to Tokyo? Visit Mamechiyo Modern kimono shop of course! They have a new shop in Shinjuku but I went to the Nishi-Ogikubo shop. One of their staff, Fumiko-san, speaks excellent English and she was kind enough to help me choose this kimono set:

Image

Kimono set closeup
The most comfortable zori ever

Next day we went to Meiji shrine. There was a wedding going on.

Image

Image

I was glad I insisted on buying a 40-150 mm telephoto lens. Didn't have to get too close to get good pictures of them.

After a couple of days in Tokyo, we took the Shinkansen and traveled to Kyoto. I had reserved a stroll plan at Studio Shiki but it was a rainy day so we had to live with studio photos. But it was fun anyway :)

Image

Image

The hikizuri I chose is so pretty! It has spring flowers: cherry, peony and iris. I liked all of their geiko hikizuri but most of them had autumn flowers. They also had a very beautiful ro hikizuri but I wanted a spring kimono so the decision was very quickly made. The lady who helped me was surprised that I chose so fast.

I had to say several times that no I don't want the maiko plan, I want the geiko plan. I guess many people don't choose it because it's more expensive. But I like the geiko look more and I'm too old to be a maiko anyway. I also had to say no, I don't want to wear okobo! But they still made me hold an uchiwa.

More henshin photos here.

The next day the weather was wonderful! I met Fuyou, my friend from internet kimono forums and we had a lovely day strolling through Kyoto. Thank-you so much for the day, Fuyou!

Image

Image

We also met other kimono wearers. I love their style!

Image

Maiko henshin. The tall maiko is a guy.

Image

I was able to take many photos of maiko and geiko! All of them didn't turn out so well I had hoped. They walk so fast... I also didn't want to get too close. Some of them looked a bit surprised to see us. Well, I guess even in Kyoto you don't see gaijin in kimono everyday. My favorite pic is this one of Fukumomo:

Image

Maiko&Geiko photoset here

Next day we went to Fushimi Inari shrine. Of course I ended up buying a kimono again.

Image

We also visited Kiyomizudera and I was happy seeing so many young people in kimono! I guess most of them had gone to a kimono rental shop. This super cute musubi is definitely professional work:

Image

More maiko henshin! My telephoto lens proved to be useful again.

Image


Image

We stayed in Kikokuso ryokan. It was so great to stay there! I give my recommendations if you ever go to Kyoto and want to stay in a traditional Japanese ryokan. Also the food was great, probably the best I've ever had.

I bought the green obi at Yasaka shrine flea market. I think it goes well with my Mamechiyo kimono too! I found the purple obijime at Chicago Harajuku. My juban sleeve had a will of its own...

We spent a week in Kyoto and then headed back to Tokyo. I went to many kimono shops but most of them were quite expensive.

Image

Image

We also went to Kabuki-za. We saw one act of Genroku Chushingura, Saigo No Daihyojo. I'm happy I could go there now that the building still exists. This play was a part of the farewell series to the old Kabuki-za building.

Image

Actually I didn't want to come back at all. But I must work and make money for our next trip to Japan, ne? :)

We took so many photos. If you're interested, you'll find my flickr photoset here.

3 kommenttia:

Kyuukaryuko kirjoitti...

Looks like you had a wonderful time in Japan, I'm jealous ^_~
And thank you for uploading so many pictures of your trip (and thanks to facebook for letting me know you put them there haha).
Your kimono look very pretty on you!

shino kirjoitti...

Welcome to Japan! And sad to know you have already gone...
I really enjoyed your journey. Even for Japanese, there were lots of findings and fun. Thank you!

Jenny kirjoitti...

Tervetuloa takaisin ^^
Minäkin haluan mennä Japaniin!
Mamechiyon kimono on ihana ja olet varmaan ostanut ihan kaikkea ihanaa.